About the Astell&Kern A&futura SE200
An industry first
An industry first
The Astell&Kern A&futura SE200 contains something unprecedented in a portable music player — two entirely separate DAC (digital-to-analog converter) configurations, using a total of three DACs. This offers you an unprecedented variety of high-resolution sound characteristics. The player features two sets of 3.5mm and 2.5mm outputs — one set for each DAC configuration.
The advantage of multiple DACs
A single ultra-high performance AKM DAC provides the signal for one pair of outputs. This is the same DAC found in Astell&Kern's flagship SP2000 player. A pair of ESS DACs provide left and right channel audio for the second pair of outputs. This separate channel processing ensures optimum stereo separation.
The player's filter controls let you select from a variety of sound types according to your personal preference. The filter options come built in, and are provided by each DAC's manufacturer. For further customization, the SE200 has its own advanced equalizer that lets you save your own settings.
There are separate circuits for both sets of balanced and unbalanced stereo outputs. This ensures near-perfect sonic detail and dynamic range, a completely quiet background, and a spacious soundstage, regardless of which DAC is used.
You can wirelessly stream high-resolution music from your computer or NAS drive via Wi-Fi using the SE200. Plus you can stream high-res music to wireless headphones via Bluetooth.
Increased audio performance
The DACs can do native playback of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files up to 11.2MHz. And they also deliver bit-perfect playback for PCM-based files up to 32-bit/384kHz.
These DACs produce an amazing amount of detail from your CD-quality and compressed music files, too. The player also supports MQA, a high-resolution audio format used by TIDAL and other streaming music services.
Large storage for your music files
The player features 256GB of internal memory — great for the larger file sizes of high-res audio. And its microSD card slot can handle cards up to 1TB, for a total possible capacity of 1.25TB — enough memory to store thousands of high-resolution FLAC files.
Fast charging and file transfer
The SE200 uses USB 3.0 for charging its built-in battery and transferring files. Get a full charge in as little as 2-1/2 hours.
- 3 built-in DACs (digital-to-analog converters) give you access to a greater variety of audio characteristics
- single AKM flagship AK4499EQ DAC
- dual EES ES9068AS DACs: one each for the left and right channels
- AKM and ESS DAC configurations have independent sets of output jacks
- both DAC configurations can be played simultaneously
- plays MP3, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AIFF, WMA, DFF, DSF, and MQA file formats
- native playback of high-resolution audio files
- up to 32-bit/384kHz for PCM and 11.2MHz for DSD
- 256GB internal flash memory
- microSD card slot for cards up to 1TB (up to 1.25TB total memory)
- built-in rechargeable battery delivers up to 10 hours (AKM DAC) or 14 hours (ESS DACs) of playback
- USB DAC mode lets you play audio files from your computer through the SE200 player
Display and controls:
- 5" high-definition touchscreen display
- analog knob on the side controls volume and power
- color-coded LED indicator ring displays information about volume, audio resolution, and selected DAC
Processing and wireless features:
- octa-core CPU for increased processing speed
- quick boot up, snappy controls, and lag-free operation when playing large digital music files
- built-in 2.4GHz Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
- built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless playback on compatible headphones or speakers (supports high-fidelity aptX HD audio)
AK Connect app:
- free download from Apple? App Store or Google Play
- stream music stored on the player wirelessly to compatible DLNA speakers
- stream music stored on DLNA devices to DLNA speaker systems
- stream music stored on NAS drives or computers to the player
- built-in support for TIDAL music service (subscription required)
Connections and specs:
- high-speed USB 3.0 Type-C port (cable included)
- quick drag-and-drop file transfer and fast battery charging
- two 3.5mm unbalanced headphone outputs
- two 2.5mm balanced outputs (only 4-pole connection supported)
- output impedance:
- 0.7 ohms/1.3 ohms (unbalanced/balanced AKM DAC)
- 1 ohm/1.6 ohms (unbalanced/balanced, ESS DACs)
- total harmonic distortion @ 1kHz:
- 0.0003% / 0.0004% (unbalanced/balanced, AKM DAC)
- 0.0006% (both unbalanced and balanced, ESS DACs)
- signal-to-noise ratio:
- 124 dB/125 dB (unbalanced/balanced, AKM DAC)
- 121 dB/123 dB (unbalanced/balanced, ESS DACs)
- aluminum casing with ceramic back and top plates
- 3-1/16"W x 5-1/4"H x 5/8"D
- weight: 9.66 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3PPR219C-CMSIN1
What's in the box:
- Portable digital music player
- Protective film (2 front/2 rear)
- microSD card slot cover
- USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
Astell&Kern A&futura SE200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Astell&Kern A&futura SE200
Overview: The Astell&Kern A&futura SE200 is a premium portable high-resolution music player that delivers exceptional sound quality playback. The SE200 features multiple DACs (digital-to-audio converters) with dual balanced and unbalanced analog outputs. It has a 256 GB internal memory for storing thousands of high-resolution music files. It also has a microSD slot for adding even more memory. The SE200 has a 5" LCD touchscreen display, plus built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Construction: The SE200 is only 3"W x 5-1/4"H x 5/8"D, and weighs 9.66 ounces. The SE200 comes with a protective film to help prevent scratches. The body is machined from solid aluminum with a silver moon finish. It has a new high-gloss ceramic top and rear cover, instead of the glass found on the SE100. Analog controls include a rotary volume knob on the right side, and Play/pause, Previous/rewind, and Next/fast forward buttons along the left side.
Digital Storage: The SE200 has a built-in 256 GB internal memory. You can also insert a microSD card (up to 1 TB) in the memory card slot on the side of the device.
Multiple DACs: The SE200 is the first digital audio player with more than two DACs. It has thelatest audiophile DACs from ESS, the ES9068AS in a Dual DAC configuration, plus a single DAC from AKM, the AK4499EQ, the same flagship DAC used in Astell&Kern's top-of-the-line SP2000. In addition, the SE200 features multiple amplifier sections to optimize the different characteristics of the ESS and AKM DACs. The signals for each independent DAC are separated into balanced (2.5mm 4-pole) and unbalanced (3.5mm) outputs to prevent interference.
DAC Filters: Not only can you choose between the single AKM DAC and the dual ESS DACs, you can also further customize your sound by choosing from a variety of DAC filters provided by the DAC manufacturer. The DAC filters include:
|Sound Type||Filter Name||Edge||Description|
|Super Slow Roll-off||Ultra-sharp|| |
Natural sound, no echo
|Acoustic Tone||Short Delay Slow Roll-off||Sharp||Original sound, minimal echo|
|Traditional Tone||Slow Roll-off||Middle||Original sound, minimal echo|
|Harmonic Sound||Low Dispersion||Middle||Original sound, short echo|
|Acoustic Sound||Short Delay Sharp Roll-off||Sharp||Post echo, enhances bass sound|
|Traditional Sound||Sharp Roll-off||Slow||Pre and Post echoes, powerful sound|
Supported Audio Formats: The A&K SE200 supports the following Audio Formats and Bit Rates:
- Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, and MQA
- Sample Rates:
- PCM: 8kHz - 384kHz (8 / 16 / 24 / 32 bits per sample)
- DSD Native:
- DSD64: 1-bit / 2.8MHz (Stereo)
- DSD128: 1-bit / 5.6MHz (Stereo)
- DSD256: 1-bit / 11.2MHz (Stereo)
LED Indicator: The SE200's volume control features an LED indicator that glows a different color to show the status of the music currently playing. The LED glows orange when the AKM DAC is selected, mint green when the ESS DAC is in use, or yellow if the AKM and ESS are connected together. It also indicates the current bit rate: red (16-bit), green (24-bit), blue (32-bit) and purple (DSD). You can turn the LED indicator off in the Menu, if desired.
Octa-core CPU: The SR15 utilizes an Octa-core CPU to provide extra processing power for your digital music. The Octa-core CPU produces the exact musical detail present in the original recordings without distortion or delay. The added processing power provides faster booting times, lightning-fast file transfers, lag-free processing, and a better overall user experience.
USB DAC: You can use the SE200 as an external USB DAC which supports Native DSD playback. With the mulitple DACs and the exclusive DSD chip, the SE200 delivers much better sounding audio than your computer's built-in sound card. Connect the unit via USB from your computer and listen to your stored digital music with headphones, powered speakers, or home stereo. The USB DAC is compatible with Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows 8 (32/64-bit), and Windows 10 (32/64-bit); Supported formats: PCM (8-384 kHz (8/16/24/32-bit) and DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz).
Dual Balanced/Unbalanced Outputs: The Astell&Kern SE200 offers two sets of balanced (L+/L-/R+/R-) and unbalanced outputs (L+/R+/GND), one for the AKM DAC and the other for the ESS DACs. Balanced outputs have an additional "cold" signal to compliment the hot signal, which reduces external noise and increases output. The balanced outputs are 4-conductor 2.5mm ports on the top of the device, while the unbalanced outputs are 3.5mm ports for connecting most headphones. You can also connect an external audio device to the SE200 by connecting to both the earphones port (ground) and the balanced port (LR), using an optional balanced cable available from Astell&Kern.
User Interface: The SE200 features a high-quality user interface to make it easy to find and select your music files, change the volume, and adjust the sound:
- 5" LCD Touchscreen: The full-color LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. The screen displays the title and artist of the currently playing song, along with elapsed and remaining time, with the album art in the background. On the touchscreen, you can touch the Play/Pause, Previous/Rewind, or Next/Fast Forward icons to control playback. You can make adjustments to the EQ, set the repeat and random modes, and add the song to a playlist, all using the touchscreen interface.
- Rotary Volume Knob: The SE200 has a side-mounted analog-style rotary volume knob. As you adjust the volume, the volume range is shown numerically (0 to 150) on the display. You can change the output to "Line Out", which locks the volume level at maximum.
- Hardware Control Buttons: There are four physical buttons on the side of the unit: Power, Play/Pause, Previous/Rewind, and Next/Fast Forward buttons.
USB Type-C: The SE200 has a USB Type-C port on the bottom of the unit for connecting the unit to your computer for downloading music files and for charging the battery. USB Type-C allows faster digital file transfer speeds and faster battery charging. Data transfer and charging are done from the same cable. The SE200 is compatible with Windows 7, 8/8.1, and 10, as well as Mac OS X 10.7 and up.
Wi-Fi Capability: The SE200 features built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n--2.4GHz), allowing you to connect the device and your computer to the same network for streaming and downloading music. With the MQS Streaming Server software installed on your PC or Mac, you can use the SE200 to access music files stored on your computer's hard drive or a connected HDD. In addition, the Wi-Fi connection allows you to receive notifications of new available firmware updates (OTA Upgrades), allowing you to download them on the spot.
Bluetooth: The SE200 also has built-in Bluetooth V4.2 with aptX HD, A2DP, and AVRCP profiles for connecting a Bluetooth device to listen to music wirelessly. Device performance may be affected during Hi-Res playback. You must place the player within 8" of the Bluetooth device to pair it, and maintain a distance within 6.5 feet for best audio quality and connection quality.
AK Connect: The SE200 can stream or download music files stored on a computer on the same network. Using the AK Connect app (available for iPad running iOS 8.0 or later or Android devices running version 4.2 and up), you can connect to a NAS or PC and control it with a smartphone or tablet.
Power Requirements: The SE200 is equipped with a 3700 mAh 3.8V Lithium-Polymer battery. With USB Type-C, you can charge the battery in approximately 2.5 hours (with a commercially available 9V 1.67A USB wall adapter.) Normal charging takes approximately 5 hours (with a 5V 2A adapter). A fully charged battery can provide up to approximately 10 hours of continuous playback time with the AKM DAC, and approximately 14 hours with the ESS DAC (FLAC, 16-bit 44kHz, Unbalanced, Volume 50, EQ Off, LCD Off).
Protective Film: The unit includes a protective film to keep the touchscreen and the rear panel scratch-free.
|3.0 Vrms||6.0 Vrms||2.0 Vrms||4.0 Vrms|
|Output Impedance||0.7 ohm||1.3 ohm||1 ohm||1.6 ohm|
1 question already asked