About the MartinLogan Motion® 15
A mini-monitor for music lovers
The Motion 15 uses a 5-1/4" aluminum cone mid/woofer and MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter.
A mini-monitor for music lovers
The operative word for MartinLogan's Motion 15 is "beauty." This mini-monitor has it in spades, from its furniture-grade fit and finish to its stunningly natural sound. This member of MartinLogan's award-winning Motion® series features advanced speaker technologies like the Folded Motion™ tweeter. Though small in size, the Motion 15 delivers huge musical enjoyment.
Folded Motion tweeter for detailed sound
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works like an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. It requires about 90% less excursion than a typical 1" dome tweeter, resulting in quicker response time and much lower distortion. The tweeter's controlled sound dispersion creates a focused soundstage with a real sense of presence. Music sounds amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness.
Bass that keeps pace
The Motion 15 uses a 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer to supply fast, clean midrange and lower-mid frequencies that blend in seamlessly with the Folded Motion tweeter. A low-turbulence rear-firing port extends bass performance, but keeps it tight and tuneful.
Deceptively good sound
When MartinLogan visited Crutchfield for a day of training, they had a mix of their electrostatic and dynamic models lined up in the front of the room. They started off our session with a few minutes of an atmospheric live track. The sound was strikingly open and immediate — we thought we were listening to one of ML's electrostatic panels. Imagine our surprise when it turned out to be the little Motion 15s. Sometimes it's fun to be fooled.
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter for exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- 5-1/4" aluminum-cone woofer with cast basket
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- frequency response: 60-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 5 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-200 watts
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- perforated steel grille attaches magnetically to cabinet
- 6-13/16"W x 11-7/16"H x 9-1/2"D
- weight: 12 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MO15-GBL
What's in the box:
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- 4 Rubber bumpers
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Product Registration Card
MartinLogan Motion® 15 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® 15
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Folded Motion|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.0 x 1.4|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||60-25k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-30|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Motion 15 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a 2-way speaker design and features MartinLogan's advanced resolution Folded Motion tweeter and a single 5.5" aluminum cone midbass woofer. Pairing these two drivers together creates a dynamic full-range sound with an expansive soundstage.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter helps give the Motion 15 bookshelf loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Aluminum Cone Woofer w/ Bass Port: The MartinLogan Motion 15 bookshelf loudspeaker features a high-excursion 5.5" aluminum cone woofer with a cast basket housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber with a rear-firing bass port. The aluminum cone woofer uses a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. Pairing the 5.5" woofer with a rear-firing bass port provides higher output and audibly richer, deeper bass performance.
Precision Crossover: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the midbass driver (woofer), the Motion 15 loudspeaker features a precision 2,700Hz crossover utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
High-Gloss Cabinet: Complementing the Motion 15 loudspeaker's sonic accuracy is its elegant, yet understated styling. A high-gloss, piano black, white or black cherrywood finish, along with MartinLogan's signature perforated grille, give the Motion 15 speaker an elegant and timeless look that will blend into almost any decor. The speaker cabinet also features rounded edges and a gently tapered top.
Binding Posts: MartinLogan's proprietary tool-less binding posts simplify cable connection and management. The binding posts will accept bare wire (16- to 10-gauge), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Mounting Options: The Motion 15 bookshelf loudspeaker can be mounted on a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelf, tabletop, or other flat surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to isolate the speaker from the mounting surface and to protect the mounting surface and speaker from scratches. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.
- Although the speaker is designed to deliver a superb sonic performance when placed close to a wall, you may notice improved imaging and detail if you are able to place the speaker 2' to 3' from the rear wall and 2' or more from the side walls.
- To achieve better stereo imaging, you should aim (or "toe-in") a pair of speakers toward the primary listening position. Try to position the speaker so the tweeter is at ear-level in regards to your main listening position when seated.
Note: The 3/8" threaded insert on the back of the Motion 15 is not intended to bear the full weight of the speaker in a wall-mount installation. It is designed only to secure the speaker to stands that offer support from beneath. However, the Motion 15i can be wall mounted using a side-clamp style mounting bracket (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
The MartinLogan Motion® 15 replaces these items
7 questions already asked