About the Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) Bundle
Expansive wireless sound
Expansive wireless sound
Sporting a sleek, oval design, these Yamaha MusicCast 50 speakers fit into most any room's décor. Each one makes a great stand-alone wireless speaker for an office, den, or kitchen. Or use one or both for wireless rear-channel surround sound with any newer MusicCast-capable Yamaha home theater receivers, such as the RX-V485 and AVENTAGE RX-A780.
Place each speaker in a different room for a simple multi-room audio system. The MusicCast 50 connects to your home Wi-Fi network to give you access to internet radio, podcasts, and more.
Stereo sound and intuitive controls
Each individual MusicCast 50 features a stereo driver array with two 1-1/8" soft dome tweeters for clear highs and two 3-7/8" woofers for rich midrange and lower frequencies. For more volume and a wider soundfield, you can configure the two speakers together as a left and right stereo pair. Top-panel buttons include three one-touch presets and an alarm control.
MusicCast for simple multi-room audio
This bundle gets you started with a MusicCast audio system. You can combine up to 10 MusicCast speakers and components in a whole-house system, and control them all with Yamaha's excellent MusicCast mobile app. Play your digital music library, internet radio stations, and popular streaming services. There's support for Pandora® and SiriusXM. If you're a Spotify® Premium subscriber, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. You can even stream high-resolution audio files.
Bluetooth multi-room streaming
Bluetooth streaming from your phone is handy. But with MusicCast, Bluetooth becomes even more convenient. Stream from your smartphone to one MusicCast 50. Then you can use the MusicCast app to send that audio content to any and all other MusicCast speakers and components throughout your home. It's an easy way to share the audio from any app on your phone or tablet, including podcasts and YouTube™ clips.
- wireless connectivity
- built-in Bluetooth for streaming music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for a stable connection to your network and the internet
- Apple AirPlay 2 for flexible streaming options with compatible Apple devices
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supports playback of high-resolution digital files (up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- two 3-7/8" woofers and two 1-1/8" soft dome tweeters (each speaker)
- 35 watts x 2 (maximum) built-in amplification (each speaker)
- MusicCast Controller app:
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- set up and customize your MusicCast speakers
- control multi-room playback with two or more MusicCast speakers
- stream from-compatible services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Deezer, SiriusXM and VTuner internet radio
- access music stored on smartphone, tablet, computer or network drive
- select Bluetooth as an input, then redistribute the stream wirelessly to other MusicCast speakers via Wi-Fi
- wirelessly pair the two MusicCast 50s for even bigger sound
- use one or two MusicCast 50s as wireless surround speakers for compatible Yamaha home theater receivers
General specs: (each speaker)
- voice control via Amazon Alexa when connected to an Amazon Echo device (available separately)
- optical digital audio input
- stereo 3.5mm minijack input
- RCA stereo input
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 15-3/4"W x 4-7/8"H x 7-7/8"D
- weight: 4.8 lbs.
- requires AC power (AC adapter provided)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- The Yamaha MusicCast 50 bundle includes two MusicCast 50 wireless powered speakers in white.
- Each MusicCast 50 speaker box includes:
- Wireless streaming speaker (white)
- 10' AC power cord
- 4 Self-adhesive pads
- Quick Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information Online Product Registration Card
- "Spotify Premium" sheet
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) Bundle
Features & specs
|Aux Input||3.5mm, RCA|
|Subwoofer Output||Optional Wireless|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||192 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Bundle Overview: This Yamaha MusicCast 50 bundle consists of two WX-051 MusicCast wireless speakers.
MusicCast 50: (WX-051) Wireless Streaming Speaker: The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) wireless streaming speaker is part of Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system. This wireless desktop speaker system fills your room with dynamic, natural, and crystal clear stereo sound from two 2.18" soft-dome tweeters and two 3.875" woofers powered by a built-in 35 watts x 2 channel amplifier (70 watts total).
- Start with a single MusicCast 50 (WX-051) and add more over time, or add other MusicCast products like AV receivers and soundbars. Up to 10 MusicCast devices can be connected in one system.
- An Apple iOS or Android OS device running the MusicCast Controller app is required for setup & operation of the MusiCast 20 (WX-051) speaker.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Audio: MusicCast from Yamaha, brings music to every room in your home wirelessly with control provided by the free MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+. Designed to easily work with your existing home WiFi network, MusicCast offers access to a wide range of audio content from your downloaded music library, Internet radio, and select online music services. MusicCast is enabled on many 2015-up Yamaha components like their AV receivers, wireless speakers, soundbars, and other HiFi components.
- Compatible Multiroom Audio Sources:
- All MusicCast music services (including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster).
- Music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone running the MusicCast Controller app, as well as on your DLNA compliant computer, laptop, or NAS drive.
- Bluetooth audio (SBC codec only).
- Analog & digital audio inputs - including the 3.5mm Aux input, stereo RCA input, and Optical (toslink) digital input.
- Yamaha AV receivers, soundbars, and other Hi-Fi components which feature MusicCast offer multiroom streaming of connected external analog & digital sources - including HDMI, Optical/Coax, USB, RCA/Aux, and Phono inputs.
- A radio station from a MusiCast AV receiver's AM/FM tuner can even be distributed to multiple rooms.
- Incompatible Multiroom Audio Sources:
- AirPlay cannot be multiroom distributed via MusicCast.
Note: Yamaha's new MusicCast system is not compatible with Yamaha's older MusicCAST system.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: With MusicCast you can choose to build a wireless or wired network, or a combination of both if desired. The Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) supports both wireless and wired network connectivity through its built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and wired Ethernet (RJ-45) port. Network setup is completed through the free MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
Stereo Pairing: You can pair two MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speakers to create a space-saving, yet powerful stereo setup that delivers a better soundstage with a wider listening area. One MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speaker will be assigned as the Right and the other as the Left.
Wireless Surround: You can combine the MusicCast 50 (WX-051) with a MusicCast compatible 2018-up Yamaha AV receiver (sold separately) and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater with wireless rear speakers in a 5.1-channel system. Wireless surround requires that the MusicCast AV receiver and speakers be on the same wireless network. You can use one or two MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speakers to create wireless surround.
- Using only one MusicCast 50 (WX-051), the speaker acts as both the left and right surrounds channels.
- Using two MusicCast 50s (WX-051), one speaker is assigned as the left surround channel and the other as the right surround channel.
- The following functions and operations are not available when the speaker is used as rear surrounds - Volume, Favorites, & Alarm.
- 2017 and earlier Yamaha AV receivers with MusicCast are not compatible with wireless surround.
Optional Wireless Sub: Add Yamaha's MusicCast Sub 100 wireless powered subwoofer (sold separately - coming soon) for bigger bass response and fuller sound.
Mounting Options: This wireless desktop speaker system is designed to fit most environments you might desire - including the living room, bedroom, kitchen, or office. The speaker can simply be placed on a tabletop, shelf, stand, or other piece of furniture with a flat surface. No bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert is included to wall-mount the speaker.
AC Power: The Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) wireless audio speaker operates off of standard household current using its internal power supply and detachable 10' power cord. This speaker is not battery powered.
Firmware Updates: Firmware updates for the MusicCast products can be made through their network connection and the MusicCast app on your Apple iOS or Android device. The app will notify you when a firmware update is available.
High Resolution Audio: The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) supports true high-resolution audio formats to deliver more accurate reproduction of sonic details. The MusicCast eco-system is compatible with high resolution FLAC, AIFF and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit; as well as Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz.
|File||Sampling Frequency||Bit-rate or Bit-depth||Gapless Playback|
|MP3||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WMA||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||up to 320 kbps||N|
|WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||Y|
Note: When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices are down-converted to 48kHz.
Online Music Services: MusicCast and the free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) offers access to a wide variety of Internet radio and online streaming services - including Airable by TuneIn, Pandora, TIDAL, Spotify, SiriusXM, Deezer, and Napster.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Pandora: Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- TIDAL: Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Spotify Connect: Spotify Connect enables Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the MusicCast speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
DLNA: The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speaker supports DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5, allowing access to DLNA-compatible Windows 7/8/10 computers (with Windows Media Player 11 or 12) and network attached storage (NAS) devices. You'll be able to wirelessly stream the music libraries on your computer, laptop, or NAS to the Yamaha MusicCast speaker system.
Note: Digital Rights Management (DRM) content cannot be played back.
AirPlay 2 (via available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the MusicCast 50 (WX-051) and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051). You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051).
Bluetooth Audio: The Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless music streaming (A2DP) & control (AVRCP). This allows you to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source devices (such as your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop) to the MusicCast WX-051 speaker. The speaker has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MusicCast 50 (WX-051) speaker offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the MusicCast 50 (WX-051) offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iOS device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) can be paired with multiple Bluetooth source devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. If one or Bluetooth devices had been connected to the speaker before, the speaker will automatically connect to the last connected device when Bluetooth is enabled.
- Linked Playback Mode: With Linked Playback Mode, music streamed via Bluetooth to one MusicCast device can then be wirelessly streamed to multiple MusicCast devices for multiroom audio. Bluetooth is limited to the SBC codec during Linked Playback mode.
- If you do not desire wireless network audio or wireless multiroom audio, you can simply use the MusicCst 50 (WX-51) as a Bluetooth speaker without utilizing a network connection and the MusicCast Controller app. You can pair/connect and control playback functions from your Bluetooth source device. You can select the Bluetooth source input and control Play/Pause functions from the speaker's top-panel.
- The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) is outfitted with analog & digital inputs to connect your external audio components. There are two analog inputs that consist of a 3.5mm jack (Aux 1) and stereo RCA jacks (Aux 2). There is also an optical (toslink) digital input which supports 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS). Both the analog & digital inputs can be distributed throughout a MusicCast multiroom audio system.
Note: If you do not desire wireless network audio or wireless multiroom audio, you can simply use the analog & digital inputs to connect external audio source without utilizing a network connection and the MusicCast Controller app. You can select between source inputs from the speaker's top-panel controls.
MusicCast Controller App: The free MusicCast Controller app for (Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) will need to be downloaded on your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The MusicCast Controller app puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services, listen to Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices (such as your Apple iOS/Android device or DLNA server), select online music services, Internet Radio or Bluetooth. If you have incorporated a Yamaha AV receiver or soundbar with MusicCast into your system, you can also select from analog & digital inputs - including HDMI, Optical/Coax USB, RCA/Aux, and Phono. You can even select a AM/FM ratio station from a MusicCast AV receiver.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app. Up to 40 Favorites can be registered.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Alexa Compatible: Alexa-enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessory Tab) are able to control key functions of a MusicCast system using voice commands. With Alexa voice control integration, all you have to do is ask. The MusicCast 50 (WX-051) offers full compatibility with Amazon's range of voice control devices. Yamaha offers two Alexa Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system. The MusicCast system and Alex-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
- MusicCast Smart Home Skill: The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast speaker, AV receiver, or soundbar. These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and, input selection. This skill supports simple, Alexa-standardized commands such as "Alexa, volume up in the Kitchen."
- MusicCast Skill: The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more. The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa, ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast wireless speaker, sound bar or AV receiver and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
Note: Click here for a full list of commands. Yamaha will be adding more Alexa control features in 2018, including the ability to play a specific artist, album or song from select streaming services.
Top-Panel Controls: The Yamaha MusicCast 50 (WX-051) features touch-sensitive top-panel controls for local operation. Control functions include Power On/Off, Source Selection, Play/Pause, Volume Up/Down, Presets, and Alarm.
- 3 Presets: The 3 preset buttons give you one-touch access to your music favorites (save a favorite music playlist, online music service, or Internet radio station). Simply press and hold the preset buttons (1/2/3) to store a music source.
- Alarm/Snooze: The alarm button makes the MusicCast 50 (WX-051) perfect for your nightstand in the bedroom, so you can wake up to your favorite online music. Once the alarm goes off, you can tap any button on the top-panel to activated a 5 minute snooze. To turn off the alarm, press and hold any button on the top-panel (if the alarm is not stopped manually, it will stop automatically after one hour). The alarm and snooze must be first setup through the MusiCast Controller app on your mobile device.
Note: This unit is equipped with a child lock function. When the child lock function is enabled, some top-panel controls are disabled to prevent unintended or accidental operation.
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: The MusicCast speaker will automatically enter standby mode after approximately 20 minutes of no audio playback and no operation. You can set the unit's Sleep Timer to 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes from the app on your compatible mobile device.